In honor of our first visit to the Nemours Mansion and Gardens here is some history! It all began in the 1900’s when a man named Alfred I. duPont, who was an American entrepreneur, financier and humanitarian, gave his wife Alicia one of the most remarkable gifts. That gift is known as the Nemours Mansion and Gardens that was built over 3,000 acre land in Wilmington, Delaware.
As for the name “Nemours” DuPont named it after a French town that his great-great-grandfather represented in the French Estates General.
Some interesting and fun facts about Nemours Mansion and Gardens:
- Admire the Drawing Room is the most formal room in the house where the duPonts and their guests would gather on special occasions. It also includes portraits of Jessie duPont, the Duchess of Gloucester and Alfred’s great-great-grandmother Marie LeDee duPont.
- Sit at the Dining Room where they have a table that is 25 feet long. As well as, a beautiful chandelier is hung and believed that it may have come from Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna.
- Stand in the Reception Hall which is one of the biggest areas in the house and is said to be the area with the duPonts would celebrate Christmas.
- Check out the Library contains almost 2,000 books with works by Voltaire, Balzac and even Victor Hugo.
- Walk the Long Walk that extends from the Mansion to the Reflecting Pool. This pool shoots water 12 feet into the air and hold 800,000 gallons of water that takes three days to fill!
- Stand in the Temple of Love and admire the statue of Diana the Huntress by Jean-Antoine Houdon.
So come out and join us for the Walk for Wishes then explore the 102 beautiful fully furnished rooms with antiques, rare oriental rugs, tapestries, and even 15th century paintings.
Lastly, here are a few reminders!
- Location: 850 Alapocas Drive Wilmington, Delaware
- Registration: 8 AM
- Event Start: 8:45 AM
- Event End: 11 AM
- Length of the walk: 1.5 Miles
- Free Parking!
- Inside the Mansion: does not permit flash units, tripods or selfie sticks
See you there!
If you have not registered, there’s still plenty of time! Click the link to get started: http://philadesv.wish.org/ways-to-help/walk-for-wishes/delaware-walk
For more information about the Nemours Mansion and Gardens visit their website at and to take a virtual tour: http://www.nemoursmansion.org/welcome.html