Lancaster County’s famous tradition hasn't just happened by accident every Mother’s Day for the past 28 years. Working behind the scenes of the Guinness World Record® holding Mother’s Day Truck Convoy is a dedicated team of caring event organizers who have grown the Convoy into a nearly $500,000 annual event benefiting Make-A-Wish® Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley. The Convoy raises the necessary funds to grant roughly 70% of all wishes in the Susquehanna Valley. In addition to the 500+ trucks that drive the 26-mile Convoy route, the massive Burle Business Park parking lot is transformed into a giant carnival complete with food, carnival games, a live auction, vendors and more. Roughly 7,000 members of the public show up and spend the day with us.
This year we are looking to add new friends with new ideas to our team of roughly 20-something incredible volunteers who meet together on the first Tuesday evening of each month (see meeting schedule below). The following positions are currently open:
- Sponsorship co-chair, helping to identify and bring in new corporate sponsor
- Driver outreach and support co-chair, helping our drivers fundraise their way to $300,000 total driver dollars
- Publicity & marketing co-chair, helping to creatively and effectively get the word out to the trucking community and the general public
- Auction chair – high priority. Our longtime auction chairperson retired this year, and we are looking for somebody to help lead our annual auction held on the Convoy grounds
- Auction co-chair, helping to assist with the collection and solicitation of donations before the Convoy, and helping with the auction the day of the event
- MAW Items co-chair, helping make decisions about the purchasing and selling of Make-A-Wish branded items before the Convoy and the day of the event
- Games chair – high priority. Our longtime games chairperson stepped down this year, and we are looking for somebody to bring fresh ideas to our carnival games
- Games co-chair, helping our Games chairperson before the Convoy and helping with the games the day of the event
- Set-up & Maintenance co-chair, helping with the set-up and organization the day-of the event to accommodate 7,000 guests
- Traffic & Parking co-chair, helping to guide and direct 500+ trucks and trailers in the parking lot
- Entertainment co-chair, helping to recruit bands to play on the stage and work with the sound and video played throughout the day
- Videography chair – high priority. We are looking for a videographer to document the event and put together a highlight video to be used for promotional purposes
- Mascots chair – helping to organize and recruit the fun mascots and costumed characters who delight the children at the Convoy Carnival
This year’s 29th Annual Mother’s Day Truck Convoy is held rain or shine on Sunday May 13, 2018.
Convoy Committee Meeting Info: The Convoy Committee meets the first Tuesday evening of the month from 6:00pm – 7:30pm inside the IU13 Conference Center at the Burle Business Park in Lancaster. Meeting dates are Nov 7, Jan 9, Feb 6, Mar 6, April 3, May 1.
If interested and willing to commit the time necessary to make this amazing event a success, please visit
Ben Lee, Regional Director