At Make-A-Wish®, we are more than a great place to work — our work is life-changing. We are an inclusive and diverse group of people who, through a mosaic of backgrounds, thought and experiences, are united in purposeful work.
Development Director, Delaware
We are seeking a Development Director, Delaware to lead fundraising efforts in the state of Delaware. The Development Director will play a leadership role on the development team and will be responsible for managing all aspects of development and community engagement throughout the state. The Director will work alongside the VP of Development to create and implement short and long-term fundraising strategies to meet the needs of the chapter – including major gifts, events, corporate support and community fundraising efforts. An important part of this role is building the pipeline of support through community engagement and outreach that introduces individuals and corporations to our work. The Director will work to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals capable of making major gifts, support special events, and work with corporations that align with Make-A-Wish to partner in the state. The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic fundraising professional who is eager to build the base of support in Delaware and is a self-starter who will expand and deepen our supporters’ connectedness and involvement.
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President of Development to establish annual fundraising goals across revenue streams and develop strategies to execute and achieve those goals in Delaware.
- Represent the Chapter in dealings with other organizations, individuals and the public through speaking engagements, as well as a presence at public functions.
- Identify, qualify, and cultivate prospective donors for major gifts, personally managing a portfolio of prospects across the Delaware region.
- Reach out to potential new supporters for one-on-one meetings and conversations. Clearly communicate the vision, actively listen, and then work closely to engage them.
- Conduct and manage all stages of the gift cycle: initiate contact with potential major donors; develop appropriate cultivation strategies; move potential donors toward solicitation and closure; manage ongoing engagement and cultivation
- Secure renewed and new corporate partnerships within the state. Develop creative ways to engage with local companies and understand the landscape of corporate partnerships.
- Support internal and external events which include but is not limited to securing special event license agreements, communication with external event leads, and attendance when schedule permits.
- Participate as a contributing member in diverse chapter-wide Development and Program team initiatives.
- Implement a multi-year fundraising strategy for sustainable growth across the state. Work in collaboration with the VP of Development, development staff, advisory council and board members to set and execute on these goals.
- The successful candidate will be an exceptional relationship builder who can recruit and engage a diverse set of individuals, companies and funders. They will bring creativity, entrepreneurial energy, outstanding interpersonal skills, and a commitment to professional fundraising ethics.
Ten years or more of development/fundraising experience, preferable in Delaware, with a focus on individual major gifts and with a record of measurable results in personally identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual donors for support.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage relationships; track record of building a strong network to support a cause or product.
- Motivated, independent, organized self-starter with demonstrated time-management skills who is a team player.
- High energy, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Availability to work some nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel within chapter jurisdiction and occasional national conferences or trainings.
- Excellent computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office products as well as Raiser’s Edge.
- Residence in Delaware is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Please send resume and cover letter to Susan Zehren firstname.lastname@example.org